29.3.06

Hi Lynn
I just wanted to let you know about the positive impact that your Future Studies classes are playing in my professional career.

I use more theories and strategies from your futures classes than any other class I took at SFU!

I am constantly applying 'backcasting' to sustainable development strategies in government and have used some of the creativity and innovative thinking techniques to reinforce the importance of 'thinking outside of the box'. Whenever our organization discusses 'sustainable development' our main challenge is not to think about tomorrow, or the next fiscal year, but rather think outwards beyond ten years, twenty years and fifty years. Timelines like these permit individuals to think creatively when it comes to sustainability in a globalizing world. By envisioning a future where sustainability is a reality, we are briefly permitted to overlook present day economic or political realities, which often contradict long-term sustainable thinking. I take no greater pleasure than imagining and describing to others what a sustainable world might look like and then working towards certain aspects of this vision, in hopes of achieving some, if not all of my vision of the future.

I have also been involved in a project entitled R-Vu 'Expanding our View' in the Region (www.rvu.ca). I have been a facilitator for a study group that has been developing indicators for development in the region vis-à-vis sustainability. The knowledge that I gained in your classes have been invaluable. Our primary targets are for 2015, with a long-term vision that will address Vancouver in 2050.

This project is funded by both SFU and U.N. Habitat and will be showcased in the run-up to the World Urban Forum III being held this summer in Vancouver.

Future Studies were and remain an integral part of my academic and professional life.

Thank you for introducing me to Future Studies.

Regards,

Jason Lyth
Public Works and Government Services
Office of Greening Government Operations
Vancouver, BC, Canada
e-mail: jason.lyth@pwgsc.gc.ca

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Jason,
You are truly being the change you want to see in this world.

Best regards as always,
Lynn

15:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home