6.3.06

Dear Lynn,
I can honestly say, and with plenty of frame of reference, that your class was one of the most enjoyable of my undergraduate career. Where else would I have gotten the chance to sit around and talk about theoretical futures in such detail and with such informed feedback? Or to get academic credit to design our own vision of Utopia? What did I do right to get to take this class in my last semester as an undergrad?

For those of us who spend inordinate amounts of time thinking and fretting about what the world might be like in the distant and not-so-distant future, it can often be frustrating to be met with antagonism, ignorance, or worst of all, indifference from others when we try to express our concerns. Being one of the more fretful variety of amateur futurists, I have to imagine that for a lot of us, it was a relief to come across someone, someone in a position of influence, even, who draws around herself such passionate and creative people, and encourages them to apply that passion in everyday life. I found a few kindred spirits in this class; and it's always nice, while always vaguely fearing the downfall of the human race due to greed, ignorance, inaction, and poor foresight, to be a little reassured that there are people other than oneself out there trying to make a difference in the way the future of the world is shaped. I write about the future, mostly, and rest assured there's a book dedication in your future - once I get published, that is. Thanks for everything.

Arien Crossby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home